Monday, May 6, 2019

aromatic compounds - Steam distillation- how it actually works?


To obtain phenylamine after it is formed from the reduction of nitrobenzene with tin, we carried out steam distillation.


This is what I learned in class:




"During the process,steam is injected into the flask (containing the reaction mixture) to create artificial vapour pressure on the surface of the liquid. When vapour pressure is equal to atmospheric pressure, the liquid starts to boil at 95 degrees"



This didn't make much sense to me. So I searched it up on the net and I got another explanation (source):



As the hot steam passes through the mixture it condenses, releasing heat. This will be enough to boil the mixture of water and phenylamine at 98°C provided the volume of the mixture isn't too great



Here, it is saying that the heat produced from the condensation of the steam will allow the mixture to boil. I am really confused, I mean I carried out steam distillation but how is it different from normal distillation and how is phenylamine collected at a lower temperature through this process?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...