Tuesday, May 28, 2019

choshen mishpat civil law - Can a book with ancient text really be copyright?


Pick up your local chumash, siddur or gemara. Open it to the front page. There it is, the dreaded ©.


But to me that seems quite odd. Can the text of the actual davening or talmud really be copyrighted? If anything it perhaps should be copyrighted by the original authors, and not by some modern day company that happened to reprint it.


But... I really don't know: So, do these copyrights only apply to the layout and typography, or is there any real basis to them? If I wanted to publish a siddur today, and pulled out an Artscroll siddur for reference, would that be wrong?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...