Friday, April 12, 2019

particles - Difference between を話す and で話す



日本語話す
日本語話す




I found that those two sentences can be translated as "I speak Japanese". Is there a difference regarding the particles?



Answer



On the one hand, in this case indicates the direct object. You are talking Japanese.


On the other hand indicates the means by which you accomplish the action. You are talking in Japanese, or talking using Japanese.


Note that both sentences could be extended :



  • 電話で日本語を話す : I talk Japanese on the phone (using the phone).

  • 日本語で起{お}こった事{こと}を話す : I talk in Japanese (about) what happened.

  • 事実{じじつ}を話す : To speak the truth



Note that the second example is not the most natural, you would often use について or に関{かん}して to indicate the topic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...