Tuesday, April 23, 2019

grammar - Sentence ending with -とでも




Konna ikari ni warawa ga hirumu to demo?



In this sentence does that mean,



Should I be scared/afraid of this (little) anger?
(a humiliation/mocking intent is directed in this sentence)



or,




Do I need to be scared of this kinda anger?



These are my assumptions, yoroshiku onegaishimasu :)



Answer



とでも、used at the end of a sentence, can turn the statement into a question with a sentiment expressing resentment, astonishment, antagonism or just plain emphasis.



そんな[怒]{いか}りに[妾]{わらわ}が[怯]{ひる}むとでも?
And you think that anger would make me flinch?



Examples:




「それが実証できるとでも?」
`You're going to verify THAT?'




あなたに言われないと分からないとでも?
Like I need you to tell me that.




「ほかになりようがあるとでも?」と女王さま。

'What would you have it?' said the Queen. (from Alice in Wonderland)




同性愛者ですが何か?それが犯罪だとでも?
So what if I am gay? Is it a crime?



Source:


http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=とでも


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...