Sunday, April 21, 2019

particle を - Why does 出る accepts を although it is an intransitive verb?


The JLPT N5 textbook and the Tangorin online dictionary say 出る is intransitive and, as far as I know, should be used with が, but the Genki I textbook says it accepts を when it means "to exit". So, which is correct?



Answer



「[出]{で}る」 is indeed always an intransitive verb. 「[出]{だ}す」 is the transitive verb.


So, why is it possible to say 「レストラン出る」、「[日本]{にほん}出る」, etc? It is an "exception" to the general rule that says one can only attach 「を」 to transitive verbs.


The 「を」 attached to transitive verbs (as in 「ピザを食べる」) functions differently than the 「を」 in 「レストランを出る」. The former is the famous object-marker. The latter is, in my own words, the "spatial mobility" marker. (Excuse my ignorance if that term is already used elsewhere.) It is not limited to "exiting".



Examples of "spatial mobility" using intransitive verbs:




「[家]{いえ}[出]{で}る」 = "to leave home"、「[空]{そら}[飛]{と}ぶ」 = "to fly in the sky"、「[道]{みち}[歩]{ある}く」 = "to walk on the street"、「[公園]{こうえん}[散歩]{さんぽ}する」 = "to take a walk in the park", etc.


All of these verbs are intransitive.



The transitive 「[出]{だ}す」:



「ゴミ[出]{だ}す」 = "to take out the garbage"、「ともだちにコーヒー[出]{だ}した。」 = "I served coffee to my friends.", etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...