Sunday, April 21, 2019

compound verbs - Meaning of とる in 迷惑かけとる




「いつも迷惑かけとるのはわしの方なんじゃから」
Because when it comes to causing trouble, it's usually me. (my TL attempt)



I think I can insert an を to get 迷惑をかける = "to cause trouble". I've seen とる=取る appended to a few verbs adding a meaning of 'take'. In this case I can't see how 'take' would change the verb in any meaningful way. So, what is the function/meaning of とる here? How does the meaning change if I omit it?



Answer



かけとる here is a slurred form of かけておる、 just like 〜ておく slurs to 〜とく sometimes.


〜ておる is 'old-man speech' for 〜ている。 It's also used in Kansai dialect.


The sentence roughly translates to:



It's usually me who's causing trouble anyway.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...