Thursday, November 28, 2019

word choice - Another example where I don't know if 欲しい or 欲しがる is right



私の祖母は私が欲しい以上のものをくれた


私の祖母は私が欲しがる以上のものをくれた




I want the meaning to be "my grandmother gave me more then I wanted." Is the second sentence right and the first sentence wrong?


I learned 欲しがる for the third person, but I found the second example as a first person example. Which is correct?



Answer



The generalization that がる is used only for third person is wrong. Both of your examples are grammatical, but only the first one means what you want.



私の祖母は私が欲しい以上のものをくれた
'My grandmother gave me more than what I wanted.'


私の祖母は私が欲しがる以上のものをくれた
'My grandmother gave me more than what I expressed that I wanted.'




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...