Thursday, November 21, 2019

Usage of デーハー in daily life or conversation as 'slang'


When I was looking for an equivalent word for 'loud' in Japanese, I stumbled on this word:



デーハー:




Slang


Na-adjective, Noun




  1. showy; loud; gay; flashy; gaudy It also says: See also 派手 はで (said backwards?)



Source (jisho)


My questions:





  1. How much is 'デーハー' used as slang in daily life? Could you give an example or two in what context does this word is used and what nuance does this word carry?


I couldn't find usage examples both in English-Japanese or Japanese-Japanese dictionaries online



  1. Can I use this word as a substitute and have the same meaning/nuance? Because I can find a lot of examples if I use the word "派手 はで"

  2. Is there any story how this word become 'slang' word, for example when > a comedian or an actor/actress use this word a lot?




Weblio: Source


Goo.ne: Source


Kotobank/Yahoo.jp: Source


These are some examples I found for 派手:



その服は彼女には派手でしょう.



I'm afraid that dress is too young for her. (is it implied that the dress probably too 'sexy'/'showing a lot of skin' for her?)



私のパジャマはやや派手だ.




My pyjamas are rather decorative. (as in too many colors?)



大胆で派手な性格は政治家にとって貴重な資質かもしれない.



A daring, theatrical personality may be an asset to a politician.


Can I exchange all of these with デーハー ?


Another usage I found using 派手:


派手な買い物 -> shopping spree = can this meaning be exchanged with デーハー as well?


派手な化粧 -> flashy makeup = can this meaning be exchanged with デーハー as well?



彼は派手好きだ. -> he's fond of the show. = can this meaning be exchanged with デーハー as well?


Thank you very much for all your answers!


Source



Answer



デーハー is virtually a dead word. I can easily guess the meaning, but maybe I haven't heard it used in a daily conversation in my entire life. If you're a very fluent Japanese speaker, people may understand it as a joke and laugh. Otherwise, you should not use it.


デーハー is probably part of the so-called ズージャ語 vocabulary, which was used as argot by a certain group of people in the showbiz industry. This type of wordplay caught on in the 1980's, and a few words including マイウー, クリソツ, グラサン and ワイハ are still surviving today (that does not mean you can safely use these). Although デーハー is rare, native speakers who remember the etymology of クリソツ and ワイハ can probably guess the meaning of デーハー, too.


Related:



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...