Thursday, September 19, 2019

word choice - たたく versus ぶつ in a JLPT question


In my JLPT practise book, there is a section demonstrating the difference between なぐる, たたく, 打{う}つ, and ぶつ. If I understand them, they are all variants of "hit", with subtle nuances to differentiate them.


I have this example explaining the use of ぶつ:



いたずらをした子供{こども}は、母親{ははおや}にお尻{しり}をぶたれた。




And then I have this question:



なまけ者{もの}の弟{おとうと}は人{ひと}から尻{しり}を_____ないと、なかなか仕事{しごと}をしない。


A ぶたれ  B たたかれ  C 打{う}たれ  D なぐられ



I chose A, which means I fell unto the usual JLPT trap where they deliberately mislead with similar contexts. D'oh!


Still, in any case, I can't see why B is a better answer. In fact, the subtleties of difference make me unsure why any of them are not appropriate.


What makes B the right answer, and the rest wrong?



Answer






  • 尻をぶつ:



    Means to spank someone as punishment for something which has been done (in the first case because of naughtiness.)





  • 尻をたたく:



    Means to give someone a good hiding without those connotations (in that case because of laziness.)






  • 打つ:



    Doesn't work because ぶつ is used for people and 打つ for inanimate things.





  • 殴る:




    Doesn't work because it's more for violently hitting/continuous beating of someone with a stick/fist etc.





なまけ者 means "lazy person" and なかなか仕事をしない means "the (younger brother) stays lazy" in this context I believe, so the sentence would translate to "unless the lazy younger brother is given a good hiding, he stays lazy."


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...