Sunday, September 15, 2019

grammar - Ways to say 'rather than'



I like cats rather than dogs
より猫が好き

よりも猫が好き
というより猫が好き



Which, if any, of the above are correct and what is the difference between them?



Answer





  1. 犬より猫が好き

  2. 犬よりも猫が好き

  3. 犬というより猫が好き


  4. 犬ではなく猫が好き



These are all grammatical.


Sentences 1 and 2 sound almost the same to me, but the latter may be slightly more emphatic. They mean "I like cats more than dogs." When the speaker likes both dogs and cats, but has to tell which he likes more, these are the natural choices.


Sentence 4 means "I like cats, but not dogs."


Sentence 3 is semantically closer to Sentence 4, but sounds much milder and euphemistic. It sounds as if he were saying "I don't particularly like dogs, but I like cats."


So I think Sentence 3 is the one that is closest to "I like cats rather than dogs."


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...