Monday, September 9, 2019

experimental chemistry - How do I create a concentrated solution of singlet oxygen (in the dark)?


Without appealing to reactions that require photons / light, how do chemists achieve a very high concentration of continually produced, though quite short lived, singlet oxygen in aqueous solution (i.e. $\ce{{}^1O_2}$ where dioxygen is typically in the triplet $\ce{{}^3O_2}$ state)? I suppose I'll also ask the same question if we have the freedom to select an organic solvent of choice for the buffer? By "high concentration" I mean at concentration from $\approx 10~\mathrm{\mu{}M} - 100(+)~\mathrm{\mu{}M}$.


My guess would be that should be a way to do this starting with a solution containing some amount of $\ce{H_2O_2}$, but I'm not quite sure what a reasonable process might be.


Here's the wikipedia link for singlet oxygen ($\ce{{}^3O_2}$)



This reaction should happen at or around room temperature.


The reason I'm specifying that I'd like to do this in the dark, and to have the singlet oxygen continually produced at room temperature (given its short lifetime, which is $\leq 100~\mathrm{\mu{}s}$ under any conditions I've heard of), is because I'm curious if I could easily set up some buffer that lets me dose a sample with singlet oxygen on a lab bench with a pipette. Given the short lifetime of singlet oxygen, having to use a continuous radiation source presents difficulties that, while surmountable, lead me to ask this question.


Provided the above, I'd like to avoid reactions that vent gases like $\ce{Cl_2}$ and require fume hoods in the sense of "... well, if you value your life ..." vs. "... OSHA says so ...".




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...