Monday, June 24, 2019

words - How do 自他 triplets of related verbs work?


I thought this had been asked before (possibly by me), but I couldn't find it. I'm wondering why for certain verbs/words, instead of just a 自他 pair, there is a triplet (or possibly more) where two of the verbs are one type ( or ) and the third is the other type. Some examples:





  • 他 → 縮【ちぢ】める : 自 → 縮【ちぢ】まる : 縮【ちぢ】む → both?

    • see @snailboat comment below - dictionary confirms. Exs.

      • 自 → 寿命が縮む : 他 → 「ちぢめるの文語形」in dictionary def.






  • 他 → 繋【つな】ぐ ・ 繋【つな】げる : 自 → 繋【つな】がる

  • 他 → 緩【ゆる】める : 自 → 緩【ゆる】まる : 緩【ゆる】む → both? (same as above)

  • 他 → 滅【ほろ】ぶ ・ 滅【ほろ】びる : 自 → 滅【ほろ】ぼす

  • 他 → 含【ふく】む ・ 含【ふく】める : 自 → 含【ふく】まる



What's the deal with these triplets? Why are there two accepted verbs of one form for the same meaning? Are they somehow different? Is one of the two a classic/obsolete form like I talked about here? Does one of the two somehow rise to dominance over the other? I admit that I encounter 繋【つな】ぐ a lot less than 繋【つな】げる, but 縮【ちぢ】む seems just as frequent as 縮【ちぢ】まる to me.


Any other examples would be great to list too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...