Friday, June 21, 2019

acid base - dissociation of aluminum sulfate in water


I had a question as to what happens when aluminum sulfate is placed into water. After conducting research online, I got varied answers: some say that it dissociates into Al$^{3+}$ and SO$_4$$^{2-}$ ions, while others claim that aluminum sulfate will react with water to form aluminum hydroxide and sulfuric acid.


I even conducted a mini-lab by placing aluminum sulfate in water and sometimes there was precipitate (assumed to be aluminum hydroxide) and sometimes there was none.


What is really happening?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...