Thursday, June 20, 2019

negation - When ない becomes ぬ


Does anyone know what to call the outdated, high form of language which will say for example "ならぬ" rather than "ならない" or more accurately "だめだ"?


Specifically, I would like to know if there is a name for the dialect used by Kuchiki Byakuya from the anime Bleach so that I can research it and learn it. Features that I have noticed about the way he speaks:




  • Particles like "は" or "を" are never dropped, and ~ている never becomes ~てる even in fast or casual speech (not that I've ever heard him speak casually).





  • ~ない → ~ぬ.




  • ないだろう → なかろう.




  • そんなことはない → そんなことあるまい、そうはあるまい.





  • いい → よい.




  • お前、君 → 卿(けい).




  • 質問する → 問う.





I realize all of these things can be put down to simply old or overly formal language, but I want to be able to study it so as not to make non-native-speaker errors when writing (I intend to write a fictional character who uses such language). Thus, if anyone knows what to call this type of language (in Japanese), I would really like to know. Alternatively, if anyone is fluent enough to correct my usage, that would be equally helpful. Thank you in advance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...