Sunday, May 5, 2019

inorganic chemistry - In which state does the bifluoride anion exist?



Statement 1. The $\ce{HF2-}$ ions exist in solid state and also in liquid state but not in aqueous state.
Statement 2. The magnitude of hydrogen bonding between $\ce{HF}$ is weaker than that between $\ce{HF}$ and $\ce{H2O}$



  1. Both are correct and 2 explains 1

  2. Both are correct but 2 does not explain 1

  3. 1 is correct and 2 false

  4. 2 is correct and 1 false




The answer given is 1.


I know the second statement to be true. $$\Delta H (\ce{H-F...O})=40{-}45\text{ kJ/mol},\Delta H(\ce{H-F...F})=20{-}23\text{ kJ/mol}$$


But I am completely unsure about statement 1 and the relation of the two statements. I think the existence of the afforementioned ion in aqueous solution must not be absent, as I have read somewhere that this ion acts as the conjugate base of the molecule $\ce{H2F2}$ which dissociates into hydrofluoric acid.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...