Sunday, April 7, 2019

grammar - What does 今からしようとしてたところよ mean?


Ran into this line in something I was reading.


From my understanding, a volitional verb + とする means "to try to do something," so I suppose 今からしようとしている might mean "I'm trying to do it now" or "I'm about to do it."


Then, the dictionary says that a past tense verb + ところ means "to have just finished something."


But when I try and put the two together, I get something like "I just finished trying to do it now."



I think the tenses are confusing me, with 今から suggesting that it's present tense but ~たところ suggested that it's past tense.


Would the correct translation simply be "I just tried to do that?" And if so, why the 今から?



Answer



How about parsing it as...



{(今から)しよう}としていたところよ。



今から modifies しよう. You can think of 今からしよう as the volitional form of 今からする, "do it now" "start it now".


~したところ means "I have just finished something" but ~していたところ means "I was right in the middle of doing something."


So 今から(~~)しようとしていたところ(だ、です、よ etc.) is literally like "I was right in the middle of trying to do/start it now", thus "I was just about to do it."



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...