Sunday, April 7, 2019

expressions - What is the meaning of あいつはあいつで?


I encountered the phrase in this line:



あいつはあいつで、きちんとバイトしているらしい。



I think I can intuit the general meaning but I was wondering if anyone had a full explanation.



Answer




「あいつはあいつで~~」 means "He ~~ in his own way."


As the word 「きちんと = "properly"」 may suggest,



"Pronoun X + は + Same Pronoun X + で"



expresses the speaker's opinion that the Person X is doing something at least on a satisfactory level if not on an extraordinary level.


「これはこれでおいしい。」 = "This dish tastes OK if not spectacular." ==> "It tastes good in its own way."


One can also use a real personal name instead of a pronoun in this expression as in.



「スミスはスミスでちゃんと働{はたら}いている。」




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...