Saturday, January 18, 2020

phrase requests - Question about supposedly a Japanese proverb


I came across to this sentence:



The Japanese say you have three faces. The first face, you show to the world. The second face, you show to your close friends, and your family. The third face, you never show anyone. It is the truest reflection of who you are.



I would like to know what is the actual word in Japanese? is it true?




Answer



「顔」 itself has a metaphorical meaning just as described in that paragraph. One can have more than one face in phrases/sentences like these:



表の顔と裏の顔 (lit. "front face and back face". The face you show to the world, and your inner side.)


彼は別の顔を持っている (lit. "He has another face". He has a secret hobby, or he is famous in two different fields, or he is a spy sent from an enemy, ...)


アマゾンはクラウド企業としての顔も有している。 (lit. "Amazon also has a face as a cloud company.")



I think I occasionally see expressions like "女は2つの顔を持つ (Women are two-faced)" in Japanese literature. However, having more than two faces is rare, and I can't think of the Japanese proverb that exactly matches "Every person has three faces".


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...