Saturday, January 18, 2020

grammar - Can we re-position ほど phrase?


The following are commonly-used patterns that I find in some resources.



  • A: 彼は私ほどハンサムじゃない。He is not as handsome as I.


  • B: 私ほどハンサムな男の人はいない。There is no man who is as handsome as I.



Is it possible to rearrange B so that it looks like A as follows.



ハンサムな男の人は私ほどいない。




Answer



No, you can't rearrange it, since it's going to be grammatically incorrect.


In your sentence, the 私ほど is describing the subject and is part of ハンサムな男の人.



As a side note I would suggest useing ex. 他にない:


私ほどハンサムな男の人は他にいない。


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...