Wednesday, April 17, 2019

nuances - Meaning of last "te" of saki ni itte te (先に行ってて)


I always hear people saying


   先に行ってて which means 'go ahead' 

But I don't really understand the meaning of the last て. I know it's the abbreviation of いて but if I translate it to English, I always think like this.


   先に行っていて - Going ahead

So anyone can explain the latter 'te' of this sentence?




Answer



As you said, 「行ってて」 is the colloquial contraction of 「行っていて」 and we almost always use the contracted form in informal speech.


There is, however, a fairly big difference in meaning between 「先に行っ」 and 「先に行ってて」.


「先に行って」 simply means "You go first."


「先に行ってて」 means "You go first and wait for me/us." or "You go first and I/We will follow you."


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...