Saturday, April 13, 2019

molecules - What makes a compound a dehydrating agent?



When a carboxylic acid with low molecular weight is heated with $\ce{P2O5}$ we get the corresponding anhydride. My book says that this reaction happens with dehydrating agents such as $\ce{P2O5}$. I have also learned from my teacher that $\ce{H2SO4}$ is also a good dehydrating agent.


My question is what makes a molecule a good dehydrating agent? How can I identify one (or maybe what are the common dehydrating agents?) while solving questions?


Also, I have seen the use of $\ce{P4O10}$, but do $\ce{P2O5}$ and $\ce{P4O10}$ play the same role as a reagent?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...