Thursday, January 16, 2020

halacha - Should someone tell a Jewish doctor about a tattoo of G-d's name?


Background: I am not Jewish. I have a tattoo containing G-d's name. I have been in the process of removing this tattoo using laser treatment. There seems to be some disagreement on whether or not Jewish law would allow me to remove this tattoo since I am a gentile. The head doctor of the tattoo removal clinic may be Jewish, but does not see the patients personally and may actually have no knowledge of the specific tattoos being removed by her medical assistants (who handle all patient interaction).


Question: Should someone getting a tattoo of G-d's name removed make an attempt to talk about this with the doctor (for her sake), or is it irrelevant since she does not administer the treatments but merely authorizes them in ignorance (or is it perhaps better if she remains ignorant)?1


I only ask about this hypothetical situation, as I know that if this personally affects anyone (especially a Jew), they should consult a competent halachic decisor.




1 By ignorance, I only mean that she authorizes the treatments without knowing that they are being used to erase G-d's name—not that she is uneducated or unsophisticated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...