Saturday, January 12, 2019

particles - Native usage of けど


I understand that けれども/けれど/けど means "although, however, but", but I'm looking for the daily usage of it.


It looks like that native Japanese use this particle not only when they are trying to contradict two things. Would any native level Japanese speaker show some example of けれども/けれど/けど that will make me sound more Japanese please?


An example would be (I heard this when I was buying a train ticket, someone said to the train station staff):



◯◯に行きたいんですけど…



Doesn't make sense to me. I suspect this is due to Japanese culture.



Answer




Quite simply, けど is also often used as a softener. That way, they don't sound as abrupt or rude.



◯◯に行きたいんですけど…



The speaker added けど to make sure (s)he didn't sound like, "I want to go to ◯◯!" when trying to get a ticket.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...