Saturday, January 26, 2019

grammar - What is the meaning of 「読むには読んだ」?


I have the following sentence and I can't find any material pointing out the usage of this grammar.




薦められた本を読むには読んだが、よく理解できなかった。



In general, what is the usage of 「VるにはVた」?



Answer



「読むには読んだ」 means 'skimmed' a book. You quickly ran through the book, but not intensively.


"VるにはVた" means "If I were forced to answer if I did it or not, I did it (but not intensively / seriously)."


For example:






  • 英語を習うには習った、でも上手く喋れない。
    I learned English, but I cannot speak it well.




  • 聞くには聞いた、でも覚えていない。
    I heard it, but I cannot recall it.




  • 言うには言った、でも約束した覚えはない。
    Yes, I said it, but I didn't promise it.





  • 行くには行った、でもすぐ帰ってきた。
    I went there, but I returned right away.





No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...