Saturday, February 1, 2020

periodic table - Relativistic effects in element 137 (Feinmanium) and above


Here I saw that if an element above atomic no 137 has to exist, it must have electron speed greater than speed of light. My question is , has this calculation been done keeping in mind Einstein's relativity? {I am just asking, I have not done this calculation.}



Answer



Yes, the value 137 occurs even considering Einstein's theory of special relativity.


137 comes from considering Sommerfeld or Dirac relativistic theories, when the nucleus is modeled as a point.


See equation 1 of A new method for solving the Z > 137 problem and for determination of energy levels of hydrogen-like atoms



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...