Monday, January 21, 2019

particle か - Usage of か I keep encountering


Maybe I'm an idiot, but no matter how much I Google I can't seem to grasp the concept of か being used mid-sentence. I've already run into it a number of times. Like here:




アメリカやヨーロッパなど6つの国は、イランが核兵器をつくろうとしているのではないと考えて、経済制裁を続けていました。



I believe this roughly means...



Six countries within the Americas and Europe, thinking that perhaps Iran shouldn't be trying to create nuclear weapons, continued with economic sanctions.



From what I understand, か here indicates an embedded question. Like in English, "I know what you mean." It can also indicate uncertainty with the speaker in conversation. This comes from a news article though (admittedly for kids, haha), so I'm thinking I'm incorrect in assuming that last part.


Also, I've seen it here in this sentence:




夏にちょうどいい名前だね、と何回言われたこと真夏はバレエの準備をしていた。



My attempt is roughly...



Manatsu, who was told her name was perfect for summer how many times, was practicing ballet.



I guess what I'm asking is whether or not I have this thinking right. If I don't, please correct me and try to put it in super simple terms because I feel like I'm not going to get it otherwise. I've been struggling with this for awhile, hah.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...