Wednesday, January 2, 2019

grammar - When should the polite form of 〜たり be used?


I've noticed that I don't see 〜ましたり used very often, but it does seem to be an accepted form. I believe this form can be broken down like this: 動詞{どうし}の連用形{れんようけい}+「ます」の連用形{れんようけい}+「たり」


My understanding is that normally the sentence-final 動詞{どうし} is the one that is responsible for indicating the politeness of the sentence, while other verbs can be made polite depending on "how polite" you want the sentence to sound (as long as that 動詞{どうし} is not in a relative clause, and not in the objective clauses of certain verbs).


However, 〜たり makes a 動詞{どうし} nominal, so it is not clear to me when, if ever, you should use the polite form of the 動詞{どうし} when attaching 〜たり. (On a potentially related side note, I don't think I ever see the polite form of a 動詞{どうし} when using 中止形{ちゅうしけい} either.)



Answer



After doing more research, I can't seem to find any modern sentences which use this form. This means it is most likely the fault of the grammar guides which include it, as it seems to be constructed rather than something which is actually used.



So, I think it is safe to say, never use 〜ましたり as a polite form for 〜たり.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...