Thursday, October 26, 2017

Chemical shift value and proton NMR spectroscopy


I am a bit confused about what chemical shift value signifies in proton NMR spectroscopy. If the proton of the standard substance TMS absorbs X Joules of energy to go into resonance, than a substance with a chemical shift value of 2.5ppm means it absorbs:


energy absorbed= X- (2.5X/10^6)?


Could someone please tell me if this is what chemical shift value is mathematically. In my book, it says the substance absorbs "2.5 millionth less amount of energy than TMS to go into resonance"... but I don't really understand this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...