Wednesday, September 6, 2017

solubility - Intermolecular forces between carbon dioxide and water


I'm wondering which intermolecular forces will exist between carbon dioxide and water. Instinctively, I would expect there to be only dispersion forces between the 2 molecules, because carbon dioxide is non-polar due to its linear shape. However, even though carbon dioxide is non-polar, it still contains dipoles. I'm curious if its possible that these dipoles in carbon dioxide will allow it to form dipole-dipole forces (or even H-bonds) with water. Could the partially negative oxygen atomspotentially accept a H-bond from water, even if carbon dioxide is non-polar?


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...