Wednesday, November 28, 2018

prefixes - How to speak about "one" thing in Japanese?


I know the title does not make much sense, sorry about that.


In short, what I mean is, how can I mention about one certain thing (not one thing in amount) in Japanese?


For example "one morning" in the following sentence:



As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.




I come accross some usages like "あるX". For instance:



  • One morning -> ある

  • One day -> ある


Is this ある may be what am I looking for?


Sorry if I am not clear. This is all I could express myself.
Thanks.



Answer






As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.



One morning -> ある朝


Is this ある may be what am I looking for?



I can confirm it is the one, as a native speaker.


The kanji version is 或る, but more often it appears in ひらがな: ある人が…, ある時, あるところにおじいさんとおばあさんが, etc.


We also sometimes say とある: とある日曜の午後 (with rather a feel of popular literature).



某{ぼう} is yet another possibility, in the same manner: ex. 某日{ぼうじつ}, 某会社社長{ぼうかいしゃしゃちょう}, 某ファーストフード店{てん}, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...