Sunday, November 25, 2018

FFT-like algorithm for fast DTFT computation?



Good morning!


I'm coding up a project on a microcontroller to read in some analog audio (specifically, the sound of someone whistling: a near perfect sine wave) and determine which piano note tones are present in the signal.


Although the FFT is the obvious first choice, the frequencies I wish to detect in the signal don't line up with the FFT frequencies. Furthermore, I only want to detect around 10-15 frequencies, not the whole spectrum.


So my thoughts quickly turn to the DTFT, which can be implemented with a matrix multiplication (here is my prototype MATLAB code. Details provided on request). However, surprisingly, it still takes more computation than an entire FFT!


This brings me to my question. I've made all the obvious google searches ("fast DTFT", "FFT for specific frequencies") without much luck. Does anyone here know of an efficient DTFT method?




No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...