Tuesday, September 5, 2017

adverbs - Using particles with a time as a topic


If I wanted to say "I ate something this morning" or "Did you eat something this morning", would I use a particle with "this morning"?


Example:




けさ、なにかたべましたか?



vs



けさはなにかたべましたか?




Answer



You have a choice; You can say it with or without 「は」. The more informal the speech, the more often the 「は」 is dropped.


The only situation in which 「は」 is not optional and it must be used is when you talk about what someone ate/will eat this morning in comparison to what he ate/will eat on another day. That is always 「けさ」 as 「けさ」in those cases is an importat topic.



(The common mistake among Japanese-learners that I have been witnessing is to use 「に」 instead of 「は」 with words such as 「けさ」,「きょう」,「あした」, etc. .)


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...