Tuesday, August 29, 2017

syntax - 「が」vs「の」 with possessives


I know that the normal possessive form is usually formed subject+「の」+object. Though, in one instance, I found being used in 天は我が物. I know that 「が」 can be used to express possession, though is there a certain way it can be used.



Answer



が for possession was more common in old Japanese.


But it's rare today and it only remains in proverbs (e.g. [人間]{にんげん}[万事]{ばんじ}[塞翁]{さいおう}が[馬]{うま}) and other fixed phrases.


One exception is [我]{わ}が. Usages as follows is common today.




  • 我が社, 我が国, 我が母校, etc.

  • 我が物顔

  • [我]{わ}が[家]{や}


我が is still old-fashioned has a bit arrogant nuance, so if someone is using 我が unlimitedly, I feel like he is playing a role of [魔王]{まおう}.


I recommend you to use が for possession only in such fixed phrases.


No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...