Tuesday, August 29, 2017

grammar - What's the meaning of もの in this sentence?



てっきり、兄{あに}は腰{こし}を下{お}ろすものだと思{おも}っていた。



I have no clue about what it could mean.



Answer




「Phrase/Mini-Sentence + ものだと思っていた」




is probably better if you remembered it as a fixed expression meaning:



"I just took it for granted that (Phrase/Mini-Sentence)."


"I never had the slightest doubt that (Phrase/Mini-Sentence)."



It would be practically impossible to translate the 「もの」 all by itself here, but it is being used to refer to an "assumed fact".



「てっきり、兄{あに}は腰{こし}を下{お}ろすものだと思{おも}っていた。」



therefore means:




"Without thinking, I simply had assumed that my older brother would sit down."



No comments:

Post a Comment

digital communications - Understanding the Matched Filter

I have a question about matched filtering. Does the matched filter maximise the SNR at the moment of decision only? As far as I understand, ...